Sunday, July 8, 2012

BRUSSLES AND THE RE-SALE MARKET

Belgium is constructed of bricks- held up with beautiful moldings, and unique with their iron works. As I walked through Brussles I felt like Alice entering Wonderland for the first time, or Wendy as she encounters the Neverland of her dreams.

 My first Belgian meal was a Luiksa waffle in the train station-a very fitting experience for the country! After which I set out into town. That night I was feed a classic Belgian dish- shrimp stuffed tomatoes via Daphne's fantastic mother.
 
 
The morning of the second day we woke up to blue skies and warm sunshine. All the bread here is fresh from a local bakery and therefore spoils quickly. We made the short trip to their towns bakery and came home with rolls and croissants- my roll was topped with Nutella and homemade melon jam.
Around two we went through the lung of Belgium, which is a stretch of woods, and entered the French region. Belgium is not big on recycling like America and therefore does not offer many opportunities for resale. However there is a market in which people can set up an area to display things they wish to free themselves of.
 The entire organization is done through bargaining. While I am horrible at it Daphne's father could bring someone down from €10 to €3. I manage to get everything for under £6 and come home with a bag full. In Belgium, unlike America, things loose their value very quickly and the market for re-sale is small. I recommend a trip to the market for any native and tourist. Good quality laces (a Belgian specialty) and dishes can be found at beyond reasonable prices. The most I payed was €2 for a real ostrich leather purse.
 While Daphne's father prepared is dinner we went to the local pub so I could taste a popular Belgian orinial- cherry beer. It was a delightful experience to sit in the heat of the setting sun, surrounded by bricks and stone streets, chatting and learning French with a lovely friend. After hearing that I was American- the Barman/owner gave me not only 1 free beer mug, but a total of four glasses (every style they had) as souvenirs!
 Back at home Vincent, Daphne's father, had sweated over dinner and we came back to smoked salmon and goat cheese stuffed peppers appetizers with mussels and fritts as a entree. I was truly blessed to have such a wonderful family welcome me into their home. Oh, and Daphne's father make wonderful homemade cream puffs.

There is truly nothing like European bread.

Much love from Belgium-
xxxx
Chey

No comments:

Post a Comment